Follow

You can't call your software "free" if you prohibit Russians and Belarusians from using it or if you sabotage their computers.

Such "free software" is even worse than proprietary software, because at least they are aware of the risks of such behavior.

I am now afraid to use software from solo developers or using rolling distros like Arch.

"Yes, my software is free, but fuck you."

@Evv1L
> sabotage their computers
That's malware, can be free, whatever 😀

> prohibit [someone] from using it
That, sadly, is still free software.
On the bright side, you're also free to make changes or fork it!

@OfShadows
> That, sadly, is still free software.
No, it's not. Then it's "open software", not "free".

Sure, I can make a fork, but damn...

@Evv1L my bad, it's right there on gnu.org

> The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.htm

@Evv1L well, that's exactly why often they call it "open source", not "free software'. Because when they say "open source", they don't feel the contradiction between their actions and what they stand for. Because they don't stand for your freedom!

Btw, that's also the reason why the GNU project and FSF were against automatic updates by default.

@Evv1L but I disagree with that part:

>Such "free software" is even worse than proprietary software, because at least they are aware of the risks of such behavior.

Because with free software we can still make changes and we don't have to stick to whatever crazy things the original developer does. With proprietary software people are left helpless and under the developer's will.

@sarahsapphire I agree.
I meant that if a developer in a company makes such a change, the company will probably say that he is crazy.
In solo projects, as a rule, there is no such thing.

@Evv1L more to the point, it makes assumptions that because someone is Russian they must believe or support certain things.

That's good old fashioned bigotry.
@Evv1L It is still free software. As in "freedom".

The thing is that freedom also includes freedom to be assholes.

Free software isn't "inherently good" and these people certainly make it more apparent.

@shuro no it's not "free". Because this software breaks this rule:

> The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).

@Evv1L It does not. Because you can still run it, it is not like they say "you are not allowed to run it, we will sue you".

It just runs differently depending on the environment :)

But no one guaranteed it would not.
@dettlaff @Evv1L Тоже, кстати, не в первый раз.

Помнится, было обсуждение как Сигнал (или что-то подобное) хотел вредоносный код добавить, чтобы выводить из строя системы форенсики Celebrite. Суть в целом примерно та же - добавление нежелательного функционала без спроса и политики ради.
@Evv1L For this reason, I'm afraid to update the system so far :)
Sign in to participate in the conversation
Mastodon.ml

Русская нода социальной сети "Мастодонт", части Fediverse - всемирной федерации социальных сетей. Зона общения, свободная от рекламы и шпионажа, теперь и в России.